While you may be able to get antioxidants in a number of foods, the quality and amount may vary. Some foods though have been identified as super foods because of their great ability to fight off free radicals and they are termed as antioxidant foods.
– Grapes: The darkest colored grapes contain the highest concentration of phytochemicals. Purple grapes especially are the best source of antioxidants but you can also find huge amounts in the blue ones as well as red. Grapes are very effective in promoting a healthy heart and can also help to reduce the chances of getting cancer. They have a high concentration of selenium as well as vitamin C which make them very good natural vitamin supplements.
– Blueberries: in-depth animal studies have been carried out on the effect of blueberries and they have revealed that they are highly effective for fighting inflammation. There is a high concentration of various minerals in blueberries as well as vitamins which makes them potent when it comes to defending the immune system. They also are good for preventing the risk of cancer as well as heart disease.
– Nuts: There is a wide variety of nuts with different properties for example walnuts are rich in omega 3 oils derived from plants and Brazilian nuts are rich in Selenium. Eating different types of nuts will provide different types of antioxidants in the body. Nuts are known to be rich in protein which is necessary for the body to make enzymes. Nuts are also good to lower the cholesterol level in the body.
– Green Leafy Vegetables: there is a whole host of dark green vegetables that could be mentioned under this and they are loaded with the vitamins needed by the body to fight diseases. Dark green vegetables are also rich in minerals potassium and magnesium. Vegetables help to stop a number of free radicals including those associated with cancer and complications with blood vessels.
– Hibiscus: the flower of the hibiscus is very potent as an antioxidant and help to cleanse the body system to ensure that toxins and harmful free radicals are eliminated from the body. There are a number of benefits associated with hibiscus flowers taken as a beverage. – Sweet Potatoes: These are loaded with a lot of goodness for the body. They are known to have large amounts of calcium which is known to strengthen bones as well as vitamin C and B6 which improves immunity. Sweet potatoes are mineral rich and help the body produce antioxidants. There are plenty more antioxidant foods and some you will discover on your own with time.
Glutathione – Master Antioxidant
We had mentioned glutathione earlier on but did not go into detail about this very important antioxidant which is sometimes called the master antioxidant. Glutathione is known as the only antioxidant that is found directly within the cell and because of that, it has a big part to play in the human body. The human body naturally produces glutathione and it is responsible for slowing down the aging process as well as strengthening the body’s ability to fight disease. In large quantities, this antioxidant can reverse the effects of age on the skin and face. Scientists highlight the following advantages of this antioxidant in the body
– It slows down the aging process
– It improves the function of the brain
– Increases body energy
– Improves the function of the lungs
– Helps to fight over 60 diseases and speeds up recovery.
To improve the amount of glutathione in the body, one needs to eat egg yolk, onions, oats, garlic, Brussels sprouts, yogurt, red pepper and broccoli. It is also possible to have it injected into the body or applied as a skin cream. This master antioxidant practically works miracles on the body.